Download ready-to-deliver CPD resources
To download these resources, log in or sign up for a free trial of CPD Toolkit
Save time and take the hassle out of preparing in-school CPD with our evidence-based resources.
Register for a free trial today to unlock and download two CPD sessions.
Start free trial Log in
We do not take payment details at this stage, and there is no obligation to subscribe after you've accessed your free resources.
How effective and consistent is behaviour management across your school? This training course explores evidence and research into high-impact approaches to behaviour management. It looks at how to use rewards, sanctions and praise to reinforce rules, and how to develop positive relationships with pupils. The training course also explores the causes of common types of misbehaviour, and aims to equip participants with practical strategies to manage them.
The training course is suitable for teachers and support staff from early years to secondary education.
Authors: This training course was developed in partnership with Fintan O’Regan. Fin is an SEN and behaviour consultant for the Schools Network and an associate lecturer for Leicester University, nasen, Tribal Education and the Institute of Education.
Session 1 - Rules, rewards and sanctions (90 minutes)
- Explore research and evidence into effective behaviour management
- Consider how to devise, justify and introduce rules and procedures
- Refine judgement on how to use rewards, sanctions and praise to reinforce rules
Session 2 - Relationships and communications (90 minutes)
- Consider how to develop positive relationships with pupils
- Discuss strategies to increase both dominance and cooperation in the classroom
- Clarify how to interpret messages being sent by a pupils’ behaviour
Session 3 - Dealing with disruption and defiance (90 minutes)
- Develop strategies to heighten awareness of what is going on in the classroom
- Review the causes of common behaviour issues and strategies to manage them
- Understand how to identify specific behaviour issues for a focus group of pupils, and develop strategies to manage them
- Facilitator notes providing step-by-step guidance with discussion prompts, activity instructions and links to further reading
- A facilitator log including a checklist to support session planning and evaluation, and to help you identify next steps
- A diagnostic audit to assess participants’ prior knowledge so that you can tailor the content and target areas for improvement
- Presentation slides outlining key concepts and guidance
- Videos to support activities and to explain complex ideas
- A learning log enabling participants to reflect upon their learning against the course objectives
- A feedback form enabling participants to evaluate the subject content and activities in the session
- A certificate to certify participation in the training course
- Download high-quality materials created in partnership with subject specialists, and quality assured for your peace of mind
- Adapt the resources to meet the needs of your school and staff
- Deliver engaging training with confidence, with the support of comprehensive facilitator guidance
- Evaluate the impact of your training to identify areas where staff need further support