Download ready-to-deliver CPD resources
To download these resources, log in or sign up for a free trial of CPD Toolkit
Save time and take the hassle out of preparing in-school CPD with our evidence-based resources.
Register for a free trial today to unlock and download two CPD sessions.
Start free trial Log in
We do not take payment details at this stage, and there is no obligation to subscribe after you've accessed your free resources.
How well equipped are your staff to craft high-quality classroom questions? This training course provides an opportunity to reflect on questioning practice and to explore a range of theories on effective questioning. Throughout the sessions, participants will develop practical strategies and resources that can be used and adapted for the classroom.
The course is suitable for teachers and support staff from early years to secondary education, and consists of four 90-minute sessions.
Session 1 - An introduction to effective questioning
- To reflect on current questioning practice
- To review research on effective questioning strategies
- To identify an area for development and create an action plan
Session 2 - Bloom's Taxonomy - putting theory into practice
- Examine the role of Bloom’s Taxonomy in constructing challenging questions
- Use Bloom’s Taxonomy to develop question sequences and resources for the classroom
Authors: This course was developed in partnership with Britannia Teaching School, a cohort 2 teaching school committed to improving educational outcomes for children and young people.
Session 3 - Questioning across the curriculum
- Apply a range of planned classroom strategies that use questioning to engage pupils, support learning, and encourage reflection across the curriculum
Session 4 - Developing pupil-led questioning
- Reflect on the balance of teacher and pupil-led questioning in our classrooms
- Explore strategies and resources to promote, develop and answer pupils’ own questions
- Facilitator notes providing step-by-step guidance with discussion prompts, activity instructions and links to further reading
- A facilitator log including a checklist to support session planning and evaluation, and to help you identify next steps
- A diagnostic audit to assess participants’ prior knowledge so that you can tailor the content and target areas for improvement
- Presentation slides outlining key concepts and guidance
- Videos to support activities and to explain complex ideas
- A learning log enabling participants to reflect upon their learning against the course objectives
- A feedback form enabling participants to evaluate the subject content and activities in the session
- A certificate to certify participation in the training course
- Download high-quality materials created in partnership with subject specialists, and quality assured for your peace of mind
- Adapt the resources to meet the needs of your school and staff
- Deliver engaging training with confidence, with the support of comprehensive facilitator guidance
- Evaluate the impact of your training to identify areas where staff need further support